Friday, July 31, 2015

Roger Arrowood : 1952-2015

The day we left West Point we received news that a good friend, Roger Arrowood, died while on a diving excursion in the Florida Keys.  Roger was a good friend and a very good man.  He, and his wife Jacki, both retired from the Navy as Captains.  We first met them, and their dog, Rowdy, in the Bahamas in the winter of 2007-2008.  Just like Gene Hackman in  the movie Crimson Tide, Rowdy is a Jack Russell terrier.  The Arrowoods were in the Bahamas on their trawler, Pelican.

My first contact with Roger was at a Chili Cook-off where we were competitors.  He is shown at center leaning forward wearing the goofy chef's hat.  I'm on the left in my Exxon apron... which did little to enhance my cooking credentials.  The smile on his face was a Roger trade mark.  He was up beat about everything, enjoyed life and had many friends.


Roger's sense of humor was well known amongst his friends.  He once gifted me with a t-shirt and made me promise to wear it before I unwrapped it.  


Another time, we let him borrow our car while they were visiting Florida.  He and Jacki made an unauthorized modification to my car's license plate that I did not notice for quite some time.


I've been planning my revenge and those who know me realize that I don't hold a grudge more than 20, 30 years...tops.

Since that first winter in the Bahamas, we've gotten together with the Arrowoods at our places in Florida and Virginia, at theirs in North Carolina and Roger crewed for us sailing around Cape Hatteras.  Most recently, we visited them at their new home in the Florida Keys last February.

Roger died from a dilated cardiomyopathy, something that has no symptoms and is often the cause of sudden death in athletes.  He was swimming back to his boat after diving when it occurred.  The memorial service plan includes the Navy spreading Roger's ashes at sea with full honors.

Roger will be missed by everyone who knew him and the world is lessened by his passing.


Roger Arrowood:  Requiescat in Pace



1 comment: